Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A New Recipe

Thursday 7th June 2012

We had Bec and Rana over for dinner last night.  This is a weekly occurrence so we can catch up with them as they are both busy working part time and studying.  I already had a corned beef simmering away in the slow cooker but needed something to have for dessert.  While I was doing a bit a stitching on another new bag design, I came up with an idea...........

How about a lime and chocolate meringue slice!  No recipe of course so I would just have to wing it and hope it all comes out for the best.

Here is a photo of the baked slice (only partially baking is required for this recipe)
The real test came when we all tasted it!  It was lovely, so I thought I would share it with everyone.

Lime and Chocolate Meringue Slice


Base
1 1/2 cups of chocolate biscuit crumbs
1/3 cup of butter
Melt the butter and add it to the crumbs then press firmly into a lined dish and place in the fridge
Filling
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
2 limes zested
1/2 cup of lime juice
3 egg yolks
Mix all these ingredients together and pour over the top of the base.
Meringue
3 egg whites
3/4 cup of sugar
Mix the egg whites until they are light and fluffy and then add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until the meringue is sticky and glossy.  Place on top of the slice and then bake in a moderate oven for approximately 10 minutes until the meringue is golden.
Once the slice has cooled place in the fridge.

Enjoy :)

I managed to get out into the garden yesterday and fertilize my vegetables.  They have slowed down a bit at the moment as they weather has really cooled off.  We had our first zucchini the other night and it was lovely.  None of the mushy taste, nothing like fresh produce for dinner.


My peas I planted have all popped up and the turnips are growing well.  Hopefully in a few weeks the pak choi will be getting closer along with the English spinach.  I love watching the fruits of my labour grow.

The garden up the driveway is ready for planting.  I just have to get to the nursery for some advice on which citrus trees would be best.  I have decided we definitely have to have a lemon and lime, but not sure about an orange tree and maybe even a tropical apple.  I would also like to plant some black berry bushes to keep the neighbours children off the garden.  They like to play hide and seek out there, but I would prefer they didn't!

I'm going to ride my bike to my parents this morning for a catch up.  They got home from America on Tuesday and I haven't had a chance to see them yet.  It will mean that the little dog will be coming with me as she loves bike rides!  It is only 4 kilometers and the exercise will do me good.  Work off some of that dessert. LOL

Happy gardening everyone.

Take care
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment