Sunday, August 5, 2012

Quality Time

Monday 6th August 2012

I have just spent three days last week staying with my daughter while her partner was away.  We had a lovely time together and had time to explore her local area.  Unfortunately while I was there we had some REALLY cold weather!  I don't cope with the cold at all.  Thursday morning was -3.5 C, not cold for some but definitely too cold for me.
Frost on my car!
One of Emily's requests while I was there was to teach her how to crochet.  She had already bought some yarn so I took out one of my crochet hooks for her to get started with.  To date she has learnt how to chain and do double crochet (USA single).  After four attempts at trying to keep it neat she is well and truly on her way to making her first item, a scarf.
Love the look of complete concentration.
On Wednesday, I made the 40 minute drive in Dalby to meet her for lunch at the coffee club.  While I was there I had a look at a fabric shop and bought some more fabric for my bags and a pattern for a dress.  I have a wedding to attend in March next year and will need something to wear.  I will need to make some adjustments to the pattern as I am only a size ten but have a large bust so hopefully a friend of mine will be able to help with this task.  It is hard to believe with the cold weather we have been having that soon we will be looking for nice cool dresses to wear.
Dalby was established in the early 1840's and some of the buildings reflect this.  I really enjoyed my stroll around the town in the lovely sunshine.  You can see the lovely blue of the sky in the photo below.  The cars for the variety bash were in town.  This is a charity that raises funds each year through an unusual car rally to help sick children.

The back of an old hotel
I brought Emily home here with me on Thursday night and we made a trip to the other side of Brisbane to Ikea on Friday.  We had a lovely time together with lots of laughter.
We had lovely weather here on the weekend with Sunday getting to 25 C.  I spent some time in the vegetable garden, removing the lettuce that had gone to seed.  As the weather is starting to warm up I have put in seeds for more lettuce, chard and silver beet, cucumber and rosella.

Rosella is a plant that is related to the hibiscus and you use the calyx from the plant once you have removed it from the green seed pod.  It makes lovely jam, tea and cordial.  The rosella originated from Africa and I have had no trouble growing it in my area.  I can't wait to harvest them!

How are things going in your garden?

Take care
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment