Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Life and a recipe

Wednesday 25th July 2012

Don't you hate the way that time just flies by.  We have been extremely busy trying to get jobs going lately, and have just handed over one last week.  That's one down and five to go.  We shouldn't complain as we have more work that most people in the building industry.  It is just that everyone wants things built yesterday.  It is fustrating for us along with our client,s that things just don't always work to plan.  It comes back to the old saying that good things come to those who wait!

I have been neglectful of my blog lately as I have been busy trying to help Ron.  This week is a little bit freer for me.  I had a lovely visit at my parents house yesterday as they had one of my Aunties visiting them also.  I was great to catch up with them all.

I did manage to spend some time in the garden on Sunday.  I pulled out the rest of the Pak Choi as they were going to seed and then dug over the garden to put some more seed (Pk Choi) in.  I love being able to add this vegetable to all sorts of meals.

Yesterday I was able to harvest a few of our turnips, snow peas, chilli and herbs.  I have never had turnip before and I found them quite bitter.  I will have to go onto the Internet and find the best way to cook them, as they are really easy to grow.

The herbs, chilli and turnip went into our meal last night and the snow peas have been put into the fridge for another night.  We are continuously getting snow peas and the plants are madly flowering away still so there will be more to come.  My other peas are starting to produce so it won't be long and I will have some peas to shell.  There is nothing sweeter that freshly shelled peas for dinner with some lovely mint.

Emily's partner, Dave brought us a couple of pumpkins awhile back and while we have managed to eat our way through one, the other one has been sitting in the fridge for awhile so yesterday I decided to make some pumpkin chutney.  This is a new recipe to me but it smelled lovely while it was cooking.  The amount only yelded three jars and I still have more pumpkin so I will head out to the shop later to buy more ingredients to finish off the pumpkin.

We love chutney and  relishes, but I also like to be able to give some away so three jars isn't nearly enough.

Here is the recipe I used

Pumpkin Chutney
3 tablespoons olive oil
250g chopped onions
1 cooking applie, cored and chopped
500g diced pumpkin
8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 cup water
1 tablespoon grated green ginger
2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 tablespoon salt
125g sultanas
375g brown sugar
90g white sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Heat the oil, then saute the onion, apple, pumpkin and garlic for 5 minutes.
Add the water and cook until the pumpkin is just tender.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring gently until the sugar is dissolved.
Cook, stirring often, for 40 minute or until chutney is thick,  Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal.

Ron also bought home two bags of lemons yesterday.  I will give most of them away but have some lemon cordial in mind also.  I hope to have time today to have a go at making my own green bag.  I have some old curtains that I want to use and I thought one of these bags would make a lovely gift.  I'll let you know how I go!

Take care
Andrea

1 comment:

  1. The pumpkin chutney looks lovely. I'll give it a try when my pumpkins are large enough in the autumn

    ReplyDelete